Lugert, Oklahoma's History

HOME Park & Camping Lodge and Cabins Conferences, Retreats and Reunions Recreation Oklahoma Arts Institute Upcoming Events Lake Info. Links
Contact Info. Group Camp Shelters Naturalist Programs History Q.M. Board Scouts Fishing Tips Bald Eagles





Historical markers commerating Frank Lugert and W.C. Austin are near the Main Boat Ramp.



1901
The town of Lugert was founded in 1901 on 80 acres Frank Lugert filed on in Kiowa County. (Frank Lugert came to this area in 1898.)

Frank had a general store that housed the Post office and sold: dry goods, school supplies, groceries, harnesses, axes and much more. At the height of its prosperity the town had a bank, 2 hotels, 2 pool halls, 2 restaurants, 1 saloon and a lumberyard.

1912
April 27, 1912 approximately 12:30 P.M. a tornado hit Lugert, then a town of 300. Three people died in the tornado and 41 of the 42 business buildings in the town were swept away.

1927
Altus built a 458-ft dam, 27 feet high, across the North Fork of the Red River for a source of city water. Flooding the town of Lugert.

Features/Facilities: 6,260 Lake Acres • 4,284 Park Acres • Resort Lodge (118 guest rooms and suites) • 8 Cabins (with kitchenettes) • Mountainview Bunkhouse (64-person dormitory) • Performing Arts Complex • 5 Performing Arts Pavilions • Outdoor Amphitheatre (capacity of 200) • 5 Camping Areas, • 19 Full Hookups • 100 Electric/Water Hookups (5 handicap accessible) • 99 Primitive Sites • Restrooms / Showers (4 handicap accessible) • Sanitary Dump Stations • Boat Ramps • Group Camp (capacity 125) • Nature Center • Naturalist • Hiking Trails • Giftshop • North Shore ATV Area (Apr. 1- Oct. 31) • Sand Dunes • Swimming Beaches • Miniature Golf • Water Skiing • Paddleboats • Grocery Store