Traveling Abroad: Minors' Legal Requirements

can minors travel abroad

Travelling with minors can be stressful, especially when it comes to documentation. In general, each adult in your party will need a passport, and minor children will need either passports or original birth certificates. However, the requirements become more complicated when minors are travelling alone or with only one parent or guardian. In these cases, you should bring written consent from the child's biological parent(s) or legal guardian(s), along with the child's birth certificate. Many countries require that the consent document be witnessed and notarized. These regulations are in place to ensure the safety of minors and to prevent kidnappings and international custody disputes.

Characteristics Values
Minors travelling internationally Required to have the same passport and visa documentation as adults
Minors travelling without both parents May be required to present a letter of consent signed by any/all non-travelling parents
Minors travelling with only one parent May need to present a notarized letter of consent from the other parent
Minors travelling with neither parent Must use an airline's unaccompanied minor programme
Minors travelling with grandparents Grandparents can use a letter of authorization
Minors travelling with foster parents Must obtain consent from their caseworker or social worker
Minors travelling with another adult The adult must have a child medical consent form


Minors travelling alone

When it comes to minors travelling alone, different airlines have different rules and services in place. Here is some general information and advice regarding this topic.

Airline Policies and Services

Many airlines offer an unaccompanied minor service for children travelling alone. This service is often mandatory for children between the ages of 5 and 14, and optional for those between 15 and 17, though a fee usually applies. This service includes early boarding, assistance during connections, and an airport escort to help the child reach their gate and the authorised adult picking them up. It's important to note that flight attendants may not be able to continuously monitor the child during the flight.

Booking and Documentation

Booking for unaccompanied minors usually needs to be done over the phone, and certain documents are required at check-in. These typically include a birth certificate or passport as proof of age, the guardian's government-issued photo ID, contact information, and the name and details of the authorised adult meeting the child at their destination.


It is recommended to prepare the child for their trip by talking to them about what to expect and assuring them of their safety. Practical tips include pointing out airport staff uniforms and instructing the child to only ask them for help, writing down important phone numbers, packing entertainment and snacks, and attaching ID and contact information to their carry-on luggage.

Country-Specific Regulations

When travelling internationally, minors may need a letter of consent signed by non-travelling parents, especially when travelling with only one parent or without both parents. This requirement varies by country and may need to be notarised or authenticated by an embassy or consulate.

Visa Requirements

If a visa is required for the destination, infants and children are typically only allowed to travel with the adult specified in the visa.

Escort Services

Some airlines offer escort services for children travelling alone, where staff will accompany the child from check-in until they meet their parents or an authorised adult. This service must be booked in advance and incurs additional fees.

Age Restrictions

It's important to note that different airlines have varying age restrictions for children travelling alone. Some airlines set the minimum age at 5, while others allow unaccompanied travel for children as young as 2 when accompanied by someone older.

In summary, while minors travelling alone is permissible, it requires careful preparation, adherence to airline policies, and compliance with any necessary documentation and consent requirements.


Documents for minors travelling with one parent

When travelling abroad with minors, it is important to carry the correct documentation. Here is a list of documents you may need if a minor is travelling with only one parent:

  • Passports: All passengers, including minors, require a valid passport for international travel.
  • Child Travel Consent Form: This is a legal document signed by the child's parents/legal guardians, giving permission for the child to travel with another adult. It is particularly important for international travel and can be used to establish guardianship. It should be signed by both parents and notarized. It should include the child's basic information, such as name, gender, birthday, and place of birth, as well as both parents' contact information and the travel arrangements.
  • Letter of Consent: If the child is travelling with only one custodial parent, they will need a letter of consent from the other parent. This letter should be in English and notarized, and should state that the child has permission to travel with the specified adult.
  • Custody Documents: If one parent has sole custody of the child, a copy of the custody document can take the place of the other parent's letter of consent.
  • Other Documents: Depending on the country, the child may also need to present their birth certificate, a Certificate of Naturalization, or a Consular Report of Birth Abroad.

It is important to note that requirements may vary depending on the country and mode of transport, so it is recommended to check with the relevant authorities, embassies, or consulates before travelling.


Documents for minors travelling with neither parent

When a minor is travelling without either parent, it is highly recommended that they carry a letter of consent, signed by their parents or legal guardians. This is a legal document that allows a minor to travel without their parents or legal guardians being present. It can be used when a child is travelling as an unaccompanied minor, or with another adult who is not their legal guardian. This could be a grandparent, teacher, sports coach, or friend of the family.

The document should include the following:

  • The minor's name, birthplace, and passport information
  • Permission from the non-travelling parent or guardian, including their contact information
  • Relevant information about the travelling parent or guardian, including name, custody information, and passport details
  • Travel information, including the destination and the start and end dates for the trip. It is important to note that the consent is temporary and specific to this one trip
  • Allergy and special needs information pertaining to the child
  • The signature of the non-travelling parent who is giving permission for the child to travel

In addition to the letter of consent, there are other important documents that may be required for a minor travelling without either parent:

  • A medical consent form: This grants authority to a chaperone to make medical decisions in case of an emergency. It grants temporary medical power of attorney to another adult
  • Birth certificate: This may be required as proof of the child's age and relationship to the parents or guardians
  • Passport: The minor's passport, which serves as their travel document
  • Visa: Depending on the country of destination, a visa may be required in addition to the passport
  • Customs forms: If the minor is travelling alone, a guardian must complete all international customs forms at check-in
  • Immigration forms: An immigration officer may ask for a letter of consent from the minor


Documents for minors travelling with grandparents

When travelling with grandchildren, it is essential to plan ahead and ensure that all the necessary documents are in place to avoid any potential delays or issues. Here is a list of documents that grandparents should carry when travelling with minors:

Letter of Permission

Although not always required, it is advisable to carry a letter of permission from the parents of the minor child. This letter serves as a safeguard and can be helpful in emergencies or when dealing with law enforcement officials. The letter should include the following information:

  • Consent from the parent(s) allowing their child(ren) to travel with their grandparents
  • Full names and ages of the children
  • Travel period, including departure and return dates, with a few days' flexibility for any travel changes
  • Name(s) of the grandparent(s)
  • Name(s) of the parent(s)
  • Signature(s) and contact information of the parent(s)
  • Notarisation by a licensed official, such as a bank or a law office

Birth Certificates

While not required for domestic travel, it is a good idea to carry photocopies of the grandchildren's birth certificates. For travel to countries like Mexico, Canada, Bermuda, or the Caribbean, grandchildren under 15 can use certified copies of their birth certificates instead of a passport when travelling by land or sea.


Passports are required for air travel and when disembarking ships in some ports. Each grandchild must have their own passport, and the process can take some time, so it is essential to plan ahead.

Vaccination Certificates

Some countries may require specific vaccinations for entry, so be sure to check the requirements for your destination.


Depending on the country, visas may be necessary for entry. Check the U.S. Department of State's website for country-specific visa information before your trip.

Insurance Cards

It is advisable to carry copies of the grandchildren's insurance cards, prescription cards, dental cards, and any other relevant insurance information.

Other Documents

In some cases, additional documents may be required, such as custody documents if one parent has sole custody of the child. It is always a good idea to check with the relevant embassies or consulates of the countries you will be visiting to ensure you have all the necessary documentation.

Guidelines for Feeding Babies on the Go

You may want to see also


Documents for minors travelling with foster parents

When travelling with foster children, additional paperwork is often involved, so it's important to allow plenty of time for the planning stage. Many foster children don't have passports, so international travel will require some advance preparation. Here is a list of documents you may need when travelling abroad with a foster child:

  • Passports: All passengers, including newborns, must have a current passport when flying internationally. This is the primary form of identification and provides official proof of citizenship.
  • Consent forms: A child travel consent form, also known as a letter of permission to travel, enables a minor child to travel without being accompanied by both parents or legal guardians. This form should be used when a foster child travels alone, with only one parent or guardian, or out of the country. It should include the child's basic information, both parents' contact information, and the travel arrangements. It is highly recommended to have this form notarized to reduce the likelihood of travel authorities questioning its legitimacy.
  • Custody documents: If one parent has sole custody of the child, a copy of the custody document can take the place of the other parent's letter of consent.
  • Permission letters: If the foster child's parents are separated, both parents may have to give authorization for the child to travel. A notarized letter from the other parent, granting permission for the child to travel, is useful for divorced parents.
  • Consent from a caseworker or social worker: Foster children must also obtain consent from their caseworker or social worker before leaving the country.
  • Risk assessment: For any holiday, you'll need to get agreement from the local authority social worker and put together a risk assessment. This document shows that you've considered all the potential risks and outlined rules and strategies for managing disagreements, privacy, and play.
  • Other documents: It's a good idea to bring the child's birth certificate, as well as their identification (ID). Although not required for domestic travel, some individual airlines do ask for the child's ID.

Frequently asked questions

Minors need the same passport and visa documentation as adults. They may also need birth certificates, adoption certificates, or legal guardianship paperwork. If the minor is travelling without one or both parents, they may need a letter of consent from the non-travelling parent(s). This letter should be witnessed and notarized.

Most American airlines allow minors who have turned five to fly alone, but they must follow a strict "unaccompanied minor" protocol. The process varies depending on the airline.

Yes, some countries have specific rules about documentation for minors travelling with guardians. For example, in South Africa, minors travelling with guardians may be required to present additional documentation such as birth certificates or parental consent letters. It is important to check the requirements for your specific destination.

Written by
Reviewed by
Share this post
Did this article help you?

Leave a comment