Planning a trip to London in December? Get ready to experience the unique blend of holiday charm and urban excitement. However, packing for a London trip in December requires careful consideration. From warm winter clothing to festive accessories, there are several essential items you'll want to make sure are in your suitcase. With temperatures dipping and holiday traditions in full swing, you won't just want to stay warm, but also look stylish as you explore the city's iconic landmarks, shop at charming Christmas markets, and indulge in traditional English cuisine. So, grab a hot cup of tea and read on to learn about the must-have items for your London adventure in December.
|Temperature||Typically ranging from 2°C to 8°C (36°F to 46°F)|
|Rainfall||Around 2.2 inches (56mm)|
|Daylight hours||Approximately 8 hours|
|Clothing||Warm layers, winter coat, hat, gloves, scarf, waterproof shoes|
|Accessories||Umbrella, warm socks|
|Activities||Christmas markets, ice skating, visiting museums, indoor attractions|
|Festivals/Events||Winter Wonderland, Christmas lights, New Year's Eve fireworks|
|Transportation||Public transport, walking, taxi, Uber|
|Currency||British Pound (GBP)|
|Electricity||Type G, 230V, 50Hz|
|Time Zone||Greenwich Mean Time (GMT)|
|Safety||Generally considered safe, usual precautions apply|
|Emergency Numbers||999 (police, ambulance, fire)|
|Tipping||Optional, 10-15% for good service|
|Wi-Fi Availability||Widely available in hotels, cafes, restaurants, and public areas|
|Mobile Network Coverage||Good coverage with major providers|
|Major Tourist Attractions||Tower of London, Buckingham Palace, British Museum, Big Ben, Westminster Abbey|
|Local Customs||Queuing, politeness, respect for personal space|
|Food||Traditional British food, international cuisine, Christmas specialties|
|Drink||Traditional British ale, mulled wine, hot chocolate|
|Shopping||Oxford Street, Carnaby Street, Covent Garden|
|Local Etiquette||Saying "please" and "thank you", offering to buy rounds of drinks|
|Vaccinations||No specific vaccinations required|
|Currency Exchange||Available at airports, banks, exchange offices|
|Travel Insurance||Recommended for medical coverage, trip cancellation, and personal belongings|
|Emergency Services||Available for healthcare, police, and fire|
|Public Holidays||Christmas Day (December 25th), Boxing Day (December 26th)|
What You'll Learn
- What type of clothing should I pack for London in December to stay warm?
- Are there any specific items that are essential for a trip to London in December?
- Should I include rain gear in my packing list for London in December?
- Are there any cultural considerations I should keep in mind when packing for London in December?
- Are there any specific accessories or footwear that are recommended for London in December?
What type of clothing should I pack for London in December to stay warm?
London in December can be quite chilly, so it's important to pack the right type of clothing to stay warm and comfortable during your visit. Here are some suggestions on what to pack for your trip to London in December:
- Layering is key: The weather in London can be unpredictable, so it's best to pack clothing that can be easily layered. This way, you can add or remove layers as needed to stay warm or cool down. Opt for items like long-sleeved shirts, sweaters, cardigans, and jackets that can be easily mixed and matched.
- Warm outerwear: London in December can be quite cold, with temperatures hovering around 5-10 degrees Celsius (40-50 degrees Fahrenheit). Be sure to pack a warm coat or jacket to protect yourself from the cold. A waterproof or water-resistant option is also recommended, as London tends to have frequent showers.
- Thermal wear: To stay extra warm, consider packing thermal wear such as thermal tops and bottoms. These can be worn underneath your regular clothing to provide an extra layer of insulation. Thermal socks and gloves can also help keep your extremities warm.
- Hats, scarves, and gloves: Don't forget to pack accessories that will help keep your head, neck, and hands warm. A beanie or knit hat, a thick scarf, and a pair of gloves are essential items to protect against the cold wind and chilly temperatures.
- Comfortable footwear: London is a city best explored on foot, so be sure to pack a good pair of comfortable and waterproof shoes. Opt for shoes with good traction to avoid slipping on wet pavements. You may also want to pack a pair of thicker socks to provide extra warmth.
- Thermal tights or leggings: For the ladies, wearing thermal tights or leggings underneath skirts or dresses can add an extra layer of warmth to your outfit. These can be paired with boots for a stylish and weather-appropriate look.
- Umbrella: London is known for its rainy weather, and December is no exception. Be sure to pack a compact and sturdy umbrella to shield yourself from the rain showers. It's also a good idea to bring a small plastic bag to store your wet umbrella when you're indoors.
Remember, London can be quite busy during the holiday season, so it's best to pack versatile clothing that can be easily mixed and matched. This will allow you to create different outfits without packing too much. By layering your clothing, wearing warm outerwear, and bringing the right accessories, you'll be well-prepared to stay warm and stylish during your visit to London in December.
You may want to see also
Are there any specific items that are essential for a trip to London in December?
If you are planning a trip to London in December, you'll need to pack accordingly to ensure you stay comfortable and prepared for the cold, wet weather. Here are some essential items you should consider bringing with you:
- Warm Clothing: London experiences cold temperatures in December, with an average high of 8°C (46°F) and a low of 3°C (37°F). Be sure to pack warm clothing such as sweaters, long-sleeved shirts, thermal underwear, and a heavy coat or jacket. Don't forget to pack a hat, gloves, and a scarf to protect yourself from the cold wind.
- Waterproof Outerwear: London is known for its rainy weather, and December is no exception. Be prepared for wet weather by bringing a waterproof jacket or raincoat. Additionally, pack waterproof shoes or boots to keep your feet dry while exploring the city's attractions.
- Umbrella or Rain Poncho: An umbrella or a compact rain poncho is essential to shield yourself from the rain when walking around London. Opt for a small travel-size umbrella that fits easily in your bag, or a lightweight rain poncho that can be folded up.
- Comfortable Shoes: London is a city best explored on foot, so be sure to pack comfortable and sturdy shoes. Choose shoes that are waterproof or resistant to minimize discomfort if you encounter rainy conditions. Avoid bringing new shoes that you haven't previously broken in to prevent blisters and sore feet.
- Adapter and Voltage Converter: If you're traveling from another country, you'll need to bring a travel adapter to plug your electronic devices into the UK's 3-pin power sockets. Additionally, check if your devices require a voltage converter as the UK uses 230V electricity, which may differ from your home country's voltage.
- Portable Charger: With all the sightseeing, you'll likely be using your phone or camera extensively. A portable charger can be a lifesaver to keep your devices charged throughout the day, especially if you find yourself running low on battery while out and about.
- City Map and Guidebook: While you can rely on your smartphone for navigation, having a physical city map and guidebook can be helpful to quickly reference the city's attractions, transportation routes, and other important information. Consider getting a guidebook specific to the winter season in London to discover seasonal activities and events.
- Travel Insurance: It's always a good idea to have travel insurance when going on a trip. Make sure your insurance covers medical expenses, lost or stolen belongings, and any travel disruptions that may occur.
By packing these essential items, you'll be well-prepared for a trip to London in December. Don't forget to check the weather forecast before you go and make any necessary adjustments to your packing list. Enjoy your trip and stay warm!
You may want to see also
Should I include rain gear in my packing list for London in December?
When packing for a trip to London in December, one question that often arises is whether to include rain gear. London is known for its rainy weather, especially during the winter months, so it's important to be prepared. In this article, we will discuss why it is a good idea to include rain gear in your packing list for London in December.
Firstly, let's look at the weather in London during December. According to historical weather data, December is one of the wettest months in London, with an average of 19 days of rain. This means that there is a high chance of rainfall during your trip. While the amount of rain may vary, it is always wise to be prepared for wet weather.
One of the main reasons to pack rain gear is to stay dry and comfortable during your trip. Getting caught in the rain without proper protection can dampen your mood and make it difficult to enjoy your time in the city. By including rain gear, such as a waterproof jacket and umbrella, you can ensure that you stay dry and are able to navigate the city comfortably, even in wet conditions.
Another reason to pack rain gear is to protect your belongings. When it rains, the streets and sidewalks of London can become wet and muddy, which can easily ruin your shoes and other items if they are not properly protected. Having a waterproof jacket and appropriate footwear can help prevent your belongings from getting damaged by rainwater and dirt.
Additionally, having rain gear can also allow you to continue with your planned activities without interruption. London has a wide range of outdoor attractions and activities, such as walking tours and visiting parks, that may not be as enjoyable in the rain without proper rain gear. By having the necessary equipment, you can still participate in these activities and make the most of your trip, rain or shine.
To pack rain gear for London in December, consider including the following items:
- Waterproof jacket or raincoat: Look for a jacket that is both waterproof and windproof to provide maximum protection from the elements.
- Umbrella: Choose a sturdy umbrella that can withstand the wind and rain common in London.
- Waterproof footwear: Opt for waterproof boots or shoes to keep your feet dry and comfortable, especially if you plan on walking a lot.
- Waterproof bag or backpack cover: Protect your belongings by using a waterproof bag or covering your backpack with a waterproof cover.
Remember to also check the weather forecast before your trip to London and adjust your packing accordingly. Pack extra layers and warm clothing to stay cozy in case the temperatures drop.
In conclusion, including rain gear in your packing list for London in December is highly recommended. The city's unpredictable weather and high chance of rain make it necessary to be prepared for wet conditions. By packing rain gear, you can stay dry, protect your belongings, and continue with your planned activities without interruption. So, don't forget to add a waterproof jacket, umbrella, and waterproof footwear to your suitcase when preparing for your trip to London in December.
You may want to see also
Are there any cultural considerations I should keep in mind when packing for London in December?
When packing for a trip to London in December, there are several cultural considerations that you should keep in mind. London is a multicultural city with a diverse range of people and traditions, so it is important to be respectful and understanding of the local culture. Here are some tips to help you pack appropriately for your trip:
- Dress for the weather: December in London is typically cold and damp, so it is important to pack warm clothing. Bring a heavy coat, gloves, scarves, and a hat to protect yourself from the chilly temperatures. Layering is also essential, as the weather can change throughout the day. It is a good idea to pack thermal undergarments to keep you warm in case of extremely cold weather.
- Respectful attire: London is a cosmopolitan city with people from all over the world, so there is no strict dress code. However, it is always a good idea to be mindful of the local customs and dress appropriately. When visiting religious sites or formal occasions, it is best to dress modestly. Women may want to bring a shawl or a cardigan to cover their shoulders when necessary.
- Comfortable shoes: London is a city best explored on foot, so it is important to pack comfortable shoes. Whether you are visiting museums, shopping in markets, or exploring the city's parks, you will likely be doing a lot of walking. Choose shoes that are supportive and comfortable to ensure that you can enjoy your time in London without any discomfort.
- Adapt to the local style: London is known for its eclectic and diverse fashion scene. When packing for your trip, consider adding some trendy pieces to your wardrobe. Londoners are known for their individualistic styles, so don't be afraid to experiment and have fun with your outfits. However, it is always important to dress appropriately for the occasion and to be respectful of local cultural norms.
- Be prepared for rain: London is notorious for its rainy weather, so it is essential to pack a lightweight waterproof jacket and an umbrella. It is also a good idea to bring a pair of waterproof shoes or boots to protect your feet from getting wet. Having these items in your suitcase will allow you to continue exploring the city even when it's raining.
In summary, when packing for London in December, it is important to consider the local culture and weather conditions. Dress warmly, be respectful of local customs, and pack comfortable shoes and waterproof gear. By keeping these cultural considerations in mind, you will be better prepared for your trip and will be able to make the most of your time in London.
You may want to see also
Are there any specific accessories or footwear that are recommended for London in December?
When it comes to visiting London in December, it is important to be prepared for the cold weather and potential rainfall. While there are no specific accessories or footwear that are exclusive to London in December, there are a few recommendations that can help make your visit more comfortable.
First and foremost, it is essential to have a good quality coat or jacket to keep you warm in the chilly temperatures. Look for one that is waterproof or has a removable liner to protect you from any unexpected rain showers. Layering is also key to staying warm, so pack some sweaters or long-sleeved shirts to wear underneath your coat.
In terms of footwear, it is best to have waterproof options such as a pair of sturdy boots or sneakers. London's streets can get wet and slippery in December, so having shoes that can handle the rain will help to keep your feet dry and prevent any accidents. Look for footwear with good traction to prevent slipping on wet surfaces.
Accessories such as scarves, hats, and gloves are also essential for keeping warm in London in December. These items will help to protect your extremities from the cold wind and add an extra layer of insulation. Opt for materials such as wool or fleece, as they are known to be excellent insulators and retain heat well.
Another accessory worth considering is an umbrella. While it may not be exclusive to London in December, the city is known for its frequent rain showers. Having a compact and sturdy umbrella can be a lifesaver when navigating the streets during a sudden downpour.
Lastly, don't forget about socks! Wearing warm and moisture-wicking socks can make a huge difference in keeping your feet comfortable throughout the day. Look for socks made of merino wool or synthetic materials that are designed to keep your feet dry and warm.
In summary, when visiting London in December, it is important to be prepared for the cold weather and potential rain. Having a good quality coat, waterproof footwear, and accessories such as scarves, hats, gloves, and an umbrella will help keep you warm and dry during your visit. Remember to layer your clothing and choose materials that are known for their insulation properties. By following these recommendations, you can enjoy your time in London without worrying about the weather.
You may want to see also
Frequently asked questions
When packing for London in December, it's important to remember that the weather can be quite cold and wet. Be sure to pack warm clothing such as sweaters, coats, and scarves. Additionally, it's a good idea to bring waterproof shoes or boots and an umbrella to stay dry in case it rains. Layers are also recommended as the temperature can vary throughout the day.
Yes, it's a good idea to pack a lot of warm clothing for London in December. The city can get quite cold during this time of year, with temperatures ranging from around 2 to 8 degrees Celsius (36 to 46 degrees Fahrenheit). It's important to have a variety of warm clothing options such as sweaters, coats, and long-sleeve shirts. Additionally, be sure to pack a hat, gloves, and a scarf to keep yourself warm when outside.
While it's possible to wear dresses or skirts in London in December, it may not be the most comfortable option due to the cold weather. If you do choose to wear a dress or skirt, be sure to pair it with warm tights or leggings and layer it with a sweater or coat. Additionally, wearing boots or closed-toe shoes will help keep your feet warm. It's always a good idea to check the weather forecast before packing to ensure you have appropriate clothing options for the expected conditions.